Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Faye'sbook's Fave Books


I love to read and write, but I don't do either enough.

I try to write on this blog every day...but I'm never quite satisfied with the topics I come up with. I have started about 10 short stories (and only finished one...and only because I had to turn it in for a class...and it wasn't finished to my satisfaction). I have so many story ideas and book ideas but I never give myself the time to develop them.

I also have a "books to read" list a mile long...and I haven't read a book (that wasn't required for class) since last summer. But my last year in school, I was required to read over 20 books.......didn't happen. Maybe I'm stubborn? Well, yes...I know I'm stubborn. But maybe that's why I didn't read all of my required texts. Last summer I was reading Catch-22 and loving it. Then, I found out it was required for my Satire class in the fall...and I never picked it up again. Good thing I'm done with school and can read whatever I want from here on out. I just bought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and am looking forward to reading it and the other 2 books in the series by Stieg Larsson.

If you enjoy reading, check out my favorites list.



My Favorite Books:


Anthem by Ayn Rand

My all time favorite book. It's short...I read it in one sitting. It's deep. It's amazing.



Tweak by Nic Sheff

Memoir. Intense. Well-written. Couldn't put it down.



Beautiful Boy by David Sheff

Memoir. Same story of Tweak but from the father's perspective. It's amazing to see the same journey through two different sets of eyes. Would definitely read Tweak first though.



Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

Another memoir. Strange, hilarious, sad, touching. Was turned into a movie. Read the book first.





A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

Oprah's extremely opinionated self probably turned a lot of people off from this book because she went on and on about how he said it was a memoir but some facts were embellished. Well, Oprah. Now it's in the fiction section...and regardless of where I picked it up...it's one of the best books I've ever read. Along with...



Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey

The first page of this novel states, "Nothing in this book should be considered accurate or relibable." But it should be considered: fantastic, intriguing, and realistic.



Heavier than Heaven by Charles R. Cross

Of the many books about Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, this was my favorite. I do wonder if they'll ever turn it into a movie. (Post about that here.)


Annnnnnd surprise, surprise....I'm a GIRL so I have to go there.


The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

I'm sorry to those of you who think it's a stupid story because you've seen the movies. The movies are...not great. The books, however, are really, really good.


And I AM a Kristen Stewart fan...I don't think she is the reason the movies aren't great...they just could never compare to the books.


And also, Something Borrowed & Something Blue by Emily Giffin

Every girl should read these two books (and her others). The story is inspiring and draws you in within the first few pages. Not to mention it's going to be a movie with an AMAZING cast! (IMDB)


Well, there you go. Now get to reading. Hopefully I'll have a review of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo soon...and maybe a short story or two.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I want to check out the Frey books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved "A Million Little Pieces", too. Eff Oprah!

    ReplyDelete