Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I Cheated on Roger Today

Since the first time I saw Roger Federer play tennis, I've been a fan. Which was not always a fun thing in a house with a Roddick obsessed sister and mother.


Back then, he had a long ponytail and a bad attitude, but a magnificent, graceful serve...which is what first caught my eye. After seeing Roger play just one match, I was hooked. He was my #1 player. And yes, Roger and I are on a first name basis.

Anyway. I've watched (or at least gotten score updates on) almost every match he has played for the past 10 years...especially majors...especially Wimbledon.

I've only almost cheered against him three times.

2009 French Open Final vs. Robin Soderling
[My Soderling story is very similar to how I was with Roger. I saw him play, thought he was amazing...and he has continued to grow on me ever since. He's such a hard player and I really think he's brilliant to watch. I just love him. He quickly passed Andy to become my #2 player...but Roger still has my heart.]

In the first set, Roger dominated Soderling and won the set 6-1. My heart went out to Soderling...I almost wanted him to win. But no. No! I wanted Roger to win, he's my favorite! I just wanted Soderling to play well...at least better than losing the first set 1-6!

So, in the second set...I was pulling for Soderling. Not to win, but to do well. And he did...better...losing the second set in a tie break.

He played so well in the second set, so I was back to cheering for Roger in the third. I got to see Soderling play well for a minute but I still wanted Rog to win his first French Open! And he did...6-1, 7-6, 6-4.



2009 Wimbledon Final vs. Andy Roddick
I was for Roger...sporting my RF tshirt watching the match. But Andy wanted it. He wanted it bad. And in the 5th set I found myself wanting him to have it...but only for a second.

First set went to Andy...7-5

Second and Third sets, Roger pulled out the tie breaks and won 7-6

Fourth set and Andy was not giving up...he won 6-3

Epic 5th set battle. Epic! Since there are no 5th set tie breaks...it went on and on and on...all the way to 16-14.

When Roger won...I cried. As did Andy. But mine was for joy and a little saddness; Andy's tears held no joy.



Final Score: 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 3-6, 16-14

Finally, the third time I almost cheered against Roger.

2010 French Open Quarterfinal vs. Robin Soderling
My #1 vs my #2. Even though Roger IS my favorite player, I was clapping for Soderling. I was cheering for Soderling. I was for Soderling? Why? I just couldn't help myself.

And...he did it! He beat the world #1 in the French Open Quarters. He ended Roger's streak of 23 straight appearances in major semifinals.

3-6, 6-3, 7-5, 6-4





I kind of feel like I cheated today. I cheated on Roger. I'm sorry! But I'm so happy for Soderling...I hope he meets Nadal in the finals and blows him away like he did last year in the 4th round.





I'm not Nadal's biggest fan.


4 comments:

  1. I don't care for Nadal either... Why does he bite that trophy? Does he think it's made our of chocolate? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete