Friday, March 11, 2011

What Do You Say?

I've never been good with cliche things to say. I can't console you when you get dumped. I can't make you feel better when you fail at something. And I sure as hell don't know what to say when you lose someone close to you.

I lost my father when I was three years old. I never really got to know him and I still miss him every day. I have memories of him, but they don't really go past him picking me up and consoling me after I did yet another thing to earn my nickname of BooBoo. 




I miss him every single day. But, still, I could never find the right words to say to a friend who just lost a parent. I think, because...there are no right words. It just sucks.



My good friend just lost his father after he underwent a bone marrow transplant in December. I haven't found words that will be of any help, so if you know any...send them my way. 


I never met his father, but I know he was a great man...because his son is a great man. He is, hands down, one of my favorite people I've ever met. And I've met a lot of people. Not many of them are as funny, as kind, and as easy to talk to a Christopher. 


So, today. Send your thoughts and prayers his way. He and his family need them during this time of sadness.

3 comments:

  1. Goodness, that's hard. Losing my father is one of my nightmares. I'm so sorry that both you and your friend Christopher have now had to go through it. Wishing him strength & peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my father when I was younger as well and I, like you, am having trouble helping a close friend who lost a parent. I guess its different because we got used to it and had it happen way before we were able to grasp what was actually happening, as opposed to someone who is in their 20's and has had to watch their parent suffer.

    Sending prayers his way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faye, none of us are ever ready to lose a parent whom we love. I think your paragraph beginning "I never met his father ..." would share your feelings with Christopher and bring comfort to him. It is difficult to know what to say, and nobody wants to hear cliches while he/she is grieving.

    ReplyDelete