Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Best Day of my Life


Last Tuesday was the best day of my young life. It will probably be the best day of my entire life (granted my future wedding is only so-so and my kids' births are mediocre).

I've told you before that I started listening to music at an early age. So, of course, my first celebrity crushes (and favorite bands) came from the 90s Grunge era. You all know that Kurt Cobain was my soul mate. But did you know I have a backup soul mate? 
(Yes, those exist.) It's Chris Cornell.




(I also had a crush on this guy. Don't laugh.)


And Chris only gets better with age.


Seeing Chris Cornell was the best concert I have attended...and I was lucky to do so.


After a miserable opening act (seriously, I think my ears were bleeding) Chris came out on stage. From my second row seat, I did what every normal person would do. I walked to the stage to shake his hand. Yes, Chris Cornell touched me. Mine was the last hand he shook before the show began. So you know what that means. Basically, I touched all of his guitars, his microphone, his hair... Yes, that's how it works. Once, after a show, I shook hands with the Meat Puppets. They played with Nirvana. So, pretty much, that means Kurt and I were lovers. Just go with it.




Back to being lucky. Chris was suffering form laryngitis after a cold Soundgarden show in New Orleans. An hour before coming on stage, he got a shot in the arm. Either that shot had magic juice in it or laryngitis does him good because he sounded awesome. And he sang for two hours. And then he was forced to cancel his Nashville show for the following night. I'm glad we got the best of him.


His "set list" (he doesn't use a set list) was amazing. Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, and solo stuff. Plus, he was quite the entertainer telling stories between songs. Though cameras were banned, I snapped a few pictures with my phone and Jane-Claire recorded audio on hers. We're rebels. We know how to cheat the system.


video


Other than the songs he's famous for, he performed a few covers. Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, and more. Including this one. It was my favorite.


video


Really, he sang for two hours. I could have listened to him all night long.


It was the best night of my life.

Chris Cornell's Songbook album will be released in 3 parts...I'll definitely be owning it. Won't you?






This post is dedicated to 2 very special people (other than Chris himself).


Jane-Claire
JC attended the concert with me because she "kinda liked Audioslave and had heard Black Hole Sun". She left a Chris Cornell super fan. (Right?)


Amanda
Amanda, my favorite cousin/person/mom(otherthanmyown), has the only Chris Cornell crush that could rival my own. I almost bought that little (he's bigger now) boy a baby tee that said "Black Hole Son" but I didn't want the really cute merch guy to think that I had a baby.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! A blog dedicated to me ha. Thanks so so much for the invite to the concert! I did leave a super fan. Best concert ever. I'll definitely be downloading some more of his music.

    -Jane-Claire

    ReplyDelete