Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Quiz

Christmas is right around the corner. Only 13 days away. I finally started my shopping...but I'm not finished. Man, I need to get on it.

We sang Joy to the World at church yesterday morning. That song is what signifies Christmas for me. Now I am really in the Christmas spirit. 

So, naturally, it's time to do the Christmas Quiz. (Stolen from Kai.)


1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? For Christmas, I have to say egg nog. I drink hot chocolate year round, but egg nog really feels like Christmas.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Santa presents are not wrapped. He's way too busy for that!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White. So classy.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Not usually, but we're having a party Thursday night and there will be lots of mistletoe...and hopefully cute, single boys.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving and come down on New Years. 

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? My mom's cheese log. (I have a thing for appetizers.) Cream cheese, jalapenos, onion, and mom's other secret ingredients all wrapped up in Velveeta...served with Triscuits. Yums.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Watch out, I'm getting sentimental. The Christmas after my father passed away, we found a "letter from Heaven" under the tree. 

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't really remember when I figured it out, because I kept it a secret so he didn't stop coming. I told my mom and sister I knew Santa wasn't real around Easter, because I let it slip that I knew the Easter bunny wasn't real either. But thankfully, they never stopped coming.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? A gift? We open them all! This is one tradition that I will always have -- sorry future husband, it's already decided. Gifts from family are opened on Christmas Eve after church (while watching It's a Wonderful Life). Why? Because you have to make room under the tree for the gifts from Santa. Duh.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I have yet to have my own Christmas tree. This year, Rachel decorated our Oxford tree with red and green balls and bows. Our tree growing up was adorned with white lights, red bells, homemade and sentimental ornaments, and sometimes candycanes...but we'd usually eat them all before Christmas.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I love the snow...as long as I'm looking at it from inside the warm house. (I was born in Michigan and had a few Christmases there. I loved to sled. But there isn't enough snow in Mississippi to sled on...so it doesn't count.)

12. Can you ice skate? Confession: I've never been ice skating.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I was super excited when I got my first iPod because I was angsty and it meant I could listen to music in my ears all day and not have to listen to my mom and sister. Truth. (Sorry guys.)

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Celebrating with family -- not Santa or cookies or presents -- the birth of Jesus Christ. Yup.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? I love pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, but we don't usually have one for Christmas. I'm not a dessert person. I like Mom's cheese log.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? The church service on Christmas Eve that we go to every year. It's the same songs, the same message, and it never gets old. When we hold the candles and sing Silent Night...I get chills every time.

17. What tops your tree? Growing up, it was an angel and then a bird. Rachel put a lovely bow atop our Oxford Christmas tree.

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? I knew I had grown up last year when I realized giving was more fun. Buuut that was just last year. My first 22 years, it was all about receiving.

19. Candy canes: yuck or yum? Yum. Until you want to save them for later and wrap it back in the plastic and it's all slimy and gets stuck. That's yuck.

20. Favorite Christmas show? Show? Movie? It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street (THE ORIGINAL) are my favorites. 

21. Saddest Christmas song? Christmas Shoes. Tears every time.

22. What is your favorite Christmas song? Mary Did You Know. (Or Merry Christmas Baby -- the Hanson version, of course.)


Are you ready for Christmas?

6 comments:

  1. O my goodness... I love this!!!

    And Christmas Shoes... O my word. I cry (ok bawl my eyes out) every.single.time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two favorite movies also! We must be related. We have the same answer for question 14 too. Never heard the story of the letter from Heaven - need to hear that one.
    aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miracle on 34th Street (the original) is on Netflix Instant and I'm pumped about it. Have fun with the Christmas party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. high five to #9! my family does the same thing...it's the only tradition we've had and will forever keep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally stealing this and doing it tomorrow!! Might even link my YouTube video of me lip syncing merry Christmas baby... Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally not ready for Christmas, but I want to be... does that count? Gets lonely this time of year, as a single mom with teens/preteen who would never think to give mom a hug for Christmas. But I love your quiz, and wanted to let you know that I so admire your love for Jesus. Merry Christmas ~ thanks for making me smile all year!

    ReplyDelete