Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I've been out of the game for a while...

..but has dating really changed that much? As I mentioned here, I haven't been on a date in 2 years. And for nearly 2 years before that, I was in a relationship. Damn. It really has been a while. Whatever, anyway. I haven't been on a first date in upwards of 4 years. I said it.

Now, I haven't been a total recluse. I go to social events (the bar) and I meet guys. I give out my number. (Though I rarely answer/respond to messages.) I hang out with guys. But I haven't been on a date. (Sometimes I do just want to enjoy a glass of wine in the hot tub as opposed to an awkward dinner and small talk about the not-as-good-as-the-trailer movie we just saw.)

And isn't that what a date is supposed to be? Dinner, maybe a movie, small talk, maybe awkward......Not anymore?

A weekend or so ago, I met a guy. It was after being at (read: drinking at) a baseball game all day and the bar all night, so details are a little fuzzy. However, he texted me the next day. I normally wouldn't have responded but (honestly) I was bored. He seemed nice. And after I did a little Facebook stalking, I decided to accept his invitation to get together the next evening.

(Based on his Facebook), he's an engineer in his upper twenties. He wasn't really my type (not everyone can have long hair), but he was cute. What would it hurt to go out with him? At least I'd get free food out of the deal.

But I wouldn't. Because as we talked about plans, I found out that his idea of a date was a movie and drinks. No dinner. But I was still game. I haven't been to the movies in a while and it was a good evening for sitting on the balcony of City Grocery with a beer or two. I could handle that.

But that's not what he had in mind either. Dude wanted to come over to my house, watch a movie on my couch, and drink beer out of my fridge.

I (not so politely) declined.


Please don't tell me that's every guy's idea of a first date?

8 comments:

  1. Ummmm hate to say it, but he wanted to get laid. Seriously, a first date at someone's house?

    I would have only agreed to it if we had known each other for a long time as friends and decided to kick it up a notch or something.

    Guys suck...there is nothing wrong with not going OUT on a date :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he totally wanted to get laid. I left out the part where he mentioned that since he was going to be drinking he'd need a place to stay because he lives out of town (THIRTY MINUTES AWAY). If you have to drive home after a first date...don't drink that much.

      I don't mind nights in on the couch (most of the time I prefer them) but NOT for a first date and NOT with someone I barely remember speaking to for 10 minutes outside a bar while waiting for a cab. No sir. Not happening.

      Delete
  2. I'm quite glad that this loser made his way out of your (our) life (lives) in a timely manner, because I don't think I could handle another deadbeat hanging out around our house. Plus, you deserve a guy who'll want to show you off on the Square, anyway. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I hate those! I can't help but laugh them off and then proceed to give them directions to the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your choice and every single comment made here.
    Upper twenties?... get it together, dude.
    Your idea of a first date sounds like fun, I'll go! Hollllerrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. one word on how i feel about him: ass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's time to play a game I call "Totally Clueless or Date Rapist?"


    I've made my decision. >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DING DING DING. Winner of the best comment ever. Right here.

      Delete