Monday, April 23, 2012

Somebody That I Used To Know

Now that Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know" has taken the world by storm with endless covers...

Walk off the Earth (5 people + 1 guitar) - where I first heard the song
Glee - the version that puts a little too much sexual tension into a scene with 2 brothers
American Idol - the best version - performed by Phillip Phillips & the girl who took too much camera time away from Phillip Phillips...

I feel like a goober for writing this post about how relatable it is. But it is!


Recently, I had a (very short lived and not at all romantic) romance. I'd had a crush on the boy for quite some time before we first hung out. To my surprise, he surpassed the expectations my lengthy crush had built up. But the way things progressed (or...didn't progress) wasn't exactly what I had hoped for.

"Told myself that you were right for me,
but felt so lonely in your company."

After a couple weeks of seeing each other pretty regularly, our time together became few and far between. We would make plans and then he'd have (what seemed to be) a legitimate excuse to cancel every time. I was hurt a few times...and that feeling was welcomed. I haven't liked anyone in a long time, so even the feeling of being hurt was one I'd missed. It was a nice reminder of how love (or in this case, "like") affects your emotions on all ends.

"You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness."

But it was all so confusing because we still talked a lot...we just didn't hang out. So, with every conversation...every word, came feelings of frustration. Why weren't we seeing each other more? Why were we talking so much? What did he want, exactly? What were his thoughts?

"But I don't want to live that way,
reading into every word you say."

And then it just stopped. All of it.

"But you didn't have to cut me off.
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing."
 
Except that's exactly what I would prefer. (Well, I would prefer that this had taken an entirely different route)...but in the case of an ending, I much prefer a fizzling out as opposed to a blow-to-my-ego "I'm just not that into you" conversation.

"I guess that I don't need that though.
Now you're just somebody that I used to know." 


 
Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye on Grooveshark

4 comments:

  1. amazing post! I heard the Glee version and I agree, as mazing as it was (got me to love the song actually) it was also completely weird.

    Stopping by from Mingle Monday, also your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had something like that happen to me probably why I love the song :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this song! and love your take on the lyrics, isn't that great about songs... how we all find different meanings in them. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I totally know how that feels. The song choices were a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete