Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9.11

I was in 8th grade.

It was first period. I had Computer Discovery in the lab separate from the main middle school building. I was getting ready for class to begin when the first plane hit the North Tower. I was typing away (I'm sure) when the second plane hit the South Tower. We were packing up when the third plane crashed into the Pentagon. None of us knew.

The bell rang and I walked to second period, History, in the main building. When I got there, everyone was silent. Everyone was staring at the televisions. Then, the South Tower collapsed.

Teachers were crying. Students were crying. Many of both were making phone calls to loved ones who lived and worked in New York or who were flying that day.

We continued to watch the coverage. There was no room for History or Math or English or Science. There was only tragedy.

via


During fourth period, Coach Kennedy's voice sounded over the intercom. We held a moment of silence and then he prayed.

Prayer. In a school district that had banned prayer. We prayed.

We prayed for the victims. We prayed for the heroes. We prayed for America.


via


Where were you?

3 comments:

  1. I was in Mrs. Nix's History class at Pillow Academy. Far right row, second desk... talking to Meagan Goss... I will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine (CapeS_coddEr)September 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

    It was my first year of college in NYC...3 miles away from the WTC and we got through our entire class (8:00-10:30 am) without anyone letting us know the severity of the situation going on just outside our building. There was one student in my class that raised her hand and said "a plane just hit the World Trade Center." My professor's response: "Oh, that's happened before, they're built to withstand that kind of thing - now, lets continue..." I walked out of class at 10:30 am into complete panic. The worst part was that I started my morning so well. I stepped outside at 7:30 am and remember thinking "what a beautiful day!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in world history class when the first plane hit then I was in drama class when the second one hit. It's amazing how you never forget where you were. Btw, love finding other MS bloggers!

    ReplyDelete