Thursday, October 4, 2012

Potato Soup: Perfected

After making about 20 batches over the past year, I have finally perfected my potato soup.

I first made this soup last fall, using the Panera bread recipe (here). I was looking for a recipe that wasn't a "baked" or "loaded" potato soup. I wanted something creamier.

Each time I made the soup, I tried something new. And now, I have the perfect recipe. I made a double batch last night so I have plenty to eat for the rest of the week/weekend. I'll even consider sharing some.




It's chunky and creamy and spicy and delicious. And easy. Very easy.




Ingredients:

4 cups chicken broth
4 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled & cubed
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 celery stalk, diced
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 8oz pkg cream cheese, cut into chunks

Directions:

Boil potatoes, onion, celery, and seasonings in chicken broth on med-high until tender. (Approx 10-15 mins)

Remove a few scoops of potatoes & set aside. (If you like it chunky.)

With a potato masher, smash most of the remaining potatoes to thicken the soup.

Turn to low and add the cream cheese. 

Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cheese is melted.

Add in the potatoes you removed earlier.

Serve with french bread.




I made changes to the original recipe to make it my own. And to make it better. The celery adds a twist that was definitely missing. I also use more potatoes so that it has more texture. I've decided to go with less cayenne pepper than the original recipe because it was too spicy for me. It's still plenty spicy with the smaller amount. I remove potatoes before I use the masher because I want to guarantee some chunkiness.

For a few batches, I used less cream cheese and it's still delicious. But for my perfect recipe, a whole block of cream cheese works best.

And, as is always the case with soups -- it's much better the next day. It thickens up over night.



It's perfect soup weather here in Mississippi this week. Is it soup weather where you are? Try this recipe and let me know what you think!


3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! This looks absolutely delicious. I am going to have try this recipe a.s.a.p. Or maybe you can just ship some to California? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finally figuring out a perfect recipe. Makes life better (in the kitchen at least).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this soup when you shared the recipe last time- and it is fantastic! The best potato soup I've ever had- and so easy! I will have to try the celery next time.

    ReplyDelete