Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Dating Diaries: Vol 1

The Coin Toss

I was a freshman in college. They were seniors. As best friends and roommates, they had a lot in common. Well, they had the same major and the same taste in women, obviously.

I met them in class and for weeks denied their advances. [Most of these advances occurred via Myspace and MSN messenger.] I used every excuse in the book to refuse their dinner requests. I didn't want the drama of choosing between two friends and honestly, I had no idea who I would pick.

As a college freshman living on limited funds and refusing to ever eat Ramen, I eventually got hungry and caved. Earlier in the day, I had turned down the offer to have dinner with both of them (because, well, that's weird...right?). But when I got back to my dorm room and realized I was out of Easy Mac, I gave them a call.


Thirty minutes later, I was headed downstairs to meet the guys for dinner. When I got to the lobby, I was greeted by just one of them. 

"He couldn't make it, so it'll just be us. Is that okay?"

So there it was, just the two of us. On a first date.

After a rocky relationship that spanned the full length of my freshman year, we broke up.

A year or so later, when I was seeing the other friend (yes, that happened) he let me in on a secret. Once I finally agreed to go to dinner with them, they flipped a coin to determine who actually got to take me out.


I still wonder how different things would have been if that coin had landed on its other side.

1 comment: