Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chili Weather

Even though potato soup is my specialty soup, I'd like to share my chili recipe because, well, it's awesome.


I used to make chili with a packet or a kit or chili flavored rotel and then one day, I just decided to make it myself. I looked up numerous chili recipes and compared spices and ingredients until I came up with what I thought would work best.


Ingredients:

2 lbs ground chuck
white onion (chopped, just a handful)
2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 28oz can whole, peeled tomatoes

1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp cumin
2 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

2 14oz cans beans (kidneys, pintos, both, whatever)
1 can light beer

shredded cheddar cheese
diced red(purple) onion
sour cream
fritos or crackers


Brown beef in large pot, with onions. 
Add in garlic once beef is mostly browned.
If using lean beef, it is not necessary to drain. However, I still drain some of the fat.
Squish in all of the tomatoes (except the one that you decide to eat). 
Only pour in half of the juice, but don't discard the other half.
Add in spices.
Stir nicely, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Taste.
Decide you want to add more cumin, chili powder, and probably cayenne pepper. (Just sprinkle until you're satisfied.)
Rinse beans and add them to the pot.
[Your chili should be a little dry at this point.]
Add in 4-6oz of light beer. You can add in more tomato sauce, too, if you'd like.
Drink the rest of the can of beer while that simmers for another 20 minutes.
Stir and taste. Adjust any ingredients to your liking.
Pour over fritos (or under crackers*) and top with shredded cheese, diced onions, and a dollop of sour cream.
Enjoy!





*If you plan to pair with crackers (as opposed to fritos), you might need to add more salt.

3 comments:

  1. Oh this looks REALLY good!! I have never heard of putting Frito's in but I am thinking my boyfriend would LOVE that! Definitely on my list of recipes to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am NOT a chili fan but this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMM I need some of that right now!!!

    ReplyDelete