Monday, February 11, 2013

Nine Years

Nine years ago, I was a junior at a smalltown high school. Nine years ago, tragedy struck. Our small high school was rocked by the loss of a great student, a great athlete, a great friend.

I went to a high school that housed all four grades in one hallway. There were less than 100 people in my class. And it was the first time we had experienced something like this. 

I remember every detail of that night. I had gone to the movies with my boyfriend to see Boogeyman. It's the dumbest movie, but it really scared me, so I slept in the living room on the loveseat. (My mom sleeps on the couch because she thinks it's better for her back.)

In the middle of the night, the phone rang. I heard my mom say, "Alex Mayo? Yeah, I think I've heard Faye mention him before. He died?? What happened?"

I shot up from the couch and listened to the rest of her conversation. I then made her tell me everything that she heard on the other end.

Alex was on his way home from dropping friends off when he lost control and crashed into a tree...about a mile away from his house. He didn't survive.

I think about Alex often. I wonder what he would be like today. Would he have been a college athlete? Would he have gone to medical school or law school? I don't know. But I do know that he would have excelled in anything he attempted. He was that kind of guy.

His life may have been cut short, but he obviously made an impression on me (and many others) during his time on Earth. 

Are you leaving impressions?

1 comment:

  1. Oh how sad! A good friend of mine was killed the summer after graduation while he was running. It was at night, and he was hit by a car. Sucks. But that's a great question to ponder...

    ReplyDelete