Tuesday, April 2, 2013

=

I'm sure you saw your social media blow up with red equal signs last week, just as I did mine. 


That was my profile picture for two days.

I would have left it longer except I was starting to get annoyed with myself. I wanted to post so many things but felt the need to stay simple. I shared my opinion by saying, 

I don't support "gay marriage". I support freedom. And in that, the word "gay" shouldn't even matter. It's about the freedom to marry whomever you love. Freedom. For all.

I shared the Macklemore & Ryan Lewis video for "Same Love" in which he says,

I might not be the same, but that's not important. No freedom til we're equal. Damn right I support it.

And I reposted a quote from Life of Bon where she said,

There's some big stuff going on today with gay marriage. My religion supports traditional marriages and I do too because that was the best choice for me, personally. But who am I to take away someone else's freedom to choose their path to happiness, however different from mine it may be? I believe in marriage between a man and a woman, but even more strongly I believe in the incredible gift God gave us to choose for ourselves, and so I say yes to gay marriage.

I wanted to say so much more, but my feed was flooded with anti-gay rights words, so I just had to back off and leave it alone. Because I knew a Facebook comment wouldn't change anything.

In my opinion, the worst thing one can do is to be so closed-minded that you're not able to look at things from a different perspective and possibly (gasp!) even change your mind.

I come from a small Mississippi town in the middle of the Bible belt. My mom had us in church as early as I remember. I was baptized at 8. During the pre-teen years, my mom quit going. I kept on. I made the decision, at 14 years old, to switch a different church. (Albeit, it really had nothing to do with beliefs -- it was for the social scene.) But I kept myself in church because it was what I wanted. I'm glad I did, because the Christian beliefs that were taught to me as a youngster have a large impact on what I believe today.

When I was in high school, I had a friend confide in me about being gay. I told her I "supported" her and didn't "judge" her...but that I didn't agree with it. I shot some shit back about how God is love and God doesn't agree with gay so gay can't love. Yeah. I said that. That's not supportive. And it is judgy. And to this day, it might be my biggest regret. God is love. And so we need to love everyone, no matter who they love or what they look like or if they own a gun or if they're a fashion blogger. (Sometimes it's hard to love those fashion bloggers.)

I believe in God and Christian teachings. I still attend church. (Though I'm back to the original denomination my mom started me in, as I felt the one I'd switched to was a bit judgmental and non-accepting and had rubbed off on me a little too much.) I love God and I love His people. And I think you should, too.

And even that has nothing to do with marriage laws. Because this country was founded on the freedom of religion. 

And that is all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

  1. If I could "like" a blog post, I would. Love and appreciate your honesty about all topics, but especially this one.

    ReplyDelete