Wednesday, April 3, 2013

fünf Dinge

Five Things

eins.
My heritage is German and Scottish. My dad's dad was born in Germany in 1906 and moved to America in 1909. His name was Adolph. I was very interested in learning more about my German heritage when I was in college so I took German 101. I only learned how to count to ten. But I often pronounce my last name in a German accent. Valter!

zwei.
I seriously thought about postponing college to be a dancer. (Hey, that's what a lot of girls from my hometown do.) But I mean like a real dancer. I wasn't a ballerina or ballroom dancer, but I could hit better than Beyonce. So I wanted to make my living as a backup dancer. But alas, I went to college instead. Now I have a degree, but I haven't lost my moves. Maybe one day I'll get to share the stage with Britney Spears.

drei.
I love to cook, but I didn't learn that until I was 21. I had never cooked a meal before. I didn't cook when I lived at home because my mom and sister are both marvelous chefs. My first three years of college I lived in either a dorm or the sorority house, so I didn't have a kitchen to cook in. Then, my senior year, I moved into a house with a very nice kitchen (and my very first dishwasher). My life changed completely. Now I'm a master chef. (Well, I'm a pretty damn good cook.) I volunteered to cook Easter dinner this past Sunday. The spread included cornish game hens, garlic & rosemary new potatoes, parmesan roasted asparagus, and corn succotash.

vier.
I'm very particular about toilets. When I was in high school and when I was in college - and now at bars, restaurants, and work...I always use the same stall in each building. If I'm about to wet my pants and there are 5 open stalls, but the one I prefer is taken, I wait for it.

fünf.
My first love was music. I chose MTV's Headbangers Ball over Sesame Street. I remember setting the VHS tape to record Eric Clapton Unplugged. (I was four.) I was devastated when Kurt Cobain died. (I was six.) My two favorite tapes were Jagged Little Pill (Alanis Morissette) and Jackyl (Jackyl). And then, when I was 10, I got a CD player and got to choose 10 CDs to go with it. Of course I bought Hanson and the Spice Girls. But I also got Ace of Base, Jock Jams, Nirvana, and 5 others.  I bought CDs on their release date. I downloaded every song on Napster before it was shut down. I've had almost every generation of iPod. These days, it's still the same. Except I buy vinyl, go to concerts weekly, and am now writing a music blog!


Tell me 5 things about you.

1 comment:

  1. Those things are so cool! My best friend is OBSESSED with music. I'll have to let her know about your new music blog! :)

    ReplyDelete