Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Stagnancy

Day 7: The thing(s) you're most afraid of.



The thing of which I'm most afraid is also where I take refuge from other, even lesser, fears. Stagnancy. 

Comfort. I'm comfortable where I am. I work in a college town. My college town. Thirty minutes from where I grew up. I have a routine. I have a good job. I have good friends. But it's all very stagnant.

I'm scared to move. Scared to look for a new job, to make new friends. Scared to be away from my routines, my traditions. I don't want to miss Thanksgiving with my family and I don't want to leave my friends...and I don't want to miss an Ole Miss football season.

But even more than all that, I'm scared to be stuck. Scared to be here forever, with no room to grow. No new people to meet, no new experiences to discover. No new traditions and new routines. 

I need to stop taking refuge in the one thing that scares me most.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I found you in the link up.

    I am scared of getting too comfortable too even though I have moved around quite a bit (as a matter of fact we're moving to a new state tomorrow). My family is close-knit in the Midwest and I'm the rebel on the East coast. We get to see everyone about 3 times a year. It's a little easier now that we all have iPhones so we can facetime.

    I have found that stepping out of my comfort zone from time to time (with each move) has made me get a better idea of who I want to be (too cliche?).



    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good post. I think so many of us are scared to move out of our comfort zone! I have never been one to like change

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto. The idea of staying in this town for ever depresses me, but the idea of leaving it also scares me. Dilemma...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what a good post. sometimes that is really hard to balance - to know whether to take the leap or to be content with where one is at. thanks for writing this. :)

    ReplyDelete