Friday, June 7, 2013

Chicken Spaghetti

I think it was over a month ago that I promised y'all my chicken spaghetti recipe, so here it is.

I have gotten more compliments on this dish than anything else I make (other than my guac). I never ate chicken spaghetti as a kid. Actually, the first time I ate it was when I made it. But damn, it was good. Now I make it at least once a month. Here's how.


What you'll need.


Chicken - I prefer organic. Use a whole chicken or a cut up fryer.
Dry Spaghetti - 3 cups. I use thin spaghetti.
2 Cream of Soups - I use 1 can chicken and 1 can onion.
Grated cheddar cheese - 3 cups. I use sharp.
Bell Pepper - One. Green. Diced.
Onion - About half. White. Diced.
Pimentos - 4oz. Diced. Drained.
Seasoned Salt - 1 teaspoon.
Cayenne Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon.
Salt & Pepper - because, always.


Cook the chicken. (Bring to a boil for a couple mins, then turn to med-low for 30-40 mins.) That 30-40 minutes is a good time to chop your bell pepper and onion and grate your cheese (if you don't buy pre-grated). Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot (save the broth!) and let it cool. Once cool, stark picking. You'll need about 2 1/2 cups of chicken. I use a pretty even mixture of light and dark meat.

Remove about 1 1/2 cups of the broth and set aside.

Break your spaghetti into pieces (3 cups). Then cook it in the remaining chicken broth. Drain.

Mix together in a bowl: chicken, spaghetti, soups, bell pepper, onion, pimentos, 2 cups of the cheese, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Add chicken broth until the mixture is nice and moist, but not runny. I use 1 cup. 

Taste to check the seasonings. Add more of what you like. Refrain from eating the entire bowl. (I have trouble with this.)

Pour into a baking dish, top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese, and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.



I usually put everything together the night before I plan to eat it. I leave it in the fridge over night and just pop it in the oven when it's time to eat. Or, well, 35 minutes before it's time to eat. This gives all the ingredients a good chance to mix together and get extra yummy.



And that's it! Now, I can't take too much credit for this recipe, as it was modified from the great Pioneer Woman and is still pretty close to hers. I just use different soups and more bell pepper and onion. Try it her way or try it my way...just as long as you try it. It's delicious!




2 comments:

  1. mmmmmm i love chicken spaghetti :) I'll have to try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But... I don't understand. How can dry spaghetti be measured in cups?!? This is madness!!!

    ReplyDelete