Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Skinny on Being Skinny

Okay, so. I have wanted to talk about my struggle with weight loss for a while now, but I just felt like I didn't have the right. I have read many inspiring and motivational posts about women (by women) who have struggled with weight their entire lives. I haven't. Being thin always came easily for me.


photos from 2004-2006, 16-18 years old

The scale never read 3 digits until I was in college. And even then, I didn't gain the freshman 15. But then it all changed. I gained about 10 pounds my sophomore year. And then 10 more my junior year. And it didn't stop there.

College Graduation, May 2010

After graduation, it got worse. I finally decided to acknowledge the problem 9 months ago.

Nov 3, 2012

Looking at that picture, I just can't even believe that was me. That is me. No wonder the cute guy I tried to flirt with that night wasn't interested. I didn't realize I looked like that because I was in denial.

It's time to hold myself accountable and actually work to reach my goals. It doesn't come easy anymore.

Let's talk numbers. I've never shared these with anyone, but I'm hoping it will help motivate me to actually admit it to myself if I admit it to everyone else.

In November, I weighed 163 lbs. At 5'1", that's a 30.8 on the BMI scale and is technically "obese". I started lightly working out and being more careful about what I eat, but didn't do anything drastic.

By February, I was down to 152.6 lbs, a 28.7 BMI, which is at the top of the "overweight" section on the scale.

Feb 8, 2013

May 1, I weighed 148.4, still "overweight" at a 28.0 BMI.

May 17, 2013
June 13, 2013
July 13, 2013

Today, August 7, I weigh 142.2, a 26.9 on the BMI and still in the overweight category.

Aug 1, 2013

By November 1, I'm hoping for at least a 24.9 BMI, so I can be in the "normal weight" category. That means I need to weigh 132 lbs or less. That gives me about 3 months to lose about 10 lbs. I'm serious about this goal and will do everything in my power to reach it. And then some. 

132 by November 1 is only goal Number 1. After that, I'll set a new goal. And then keep going from there.


It feels so good to finally discuss this with myself. Hopefully I can help motivate others to be honest with themselves, too. Whether it's about weight loss or something else. Until you admit that you have a problem, you can't work on a solution. 

Inspiration is welcomed!


7 comments:

  1. so proud of you!! i KNOW you can do it! go faye faye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your honesty! I know you'll hit your goal. I'm trying to lose 15 by Nov 1st- we can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you. You know how I feel about all of this--I've let all my secrets hang out on my blog. It's a really sensitive subject, and yet it makes all the difference to have support and encouragement from others that comes from being honest. Our wedding is in a little under 6 months and I have about 25 lbs I want to lose. Yep, since Katie's wedding in March, I've gained 22 lbs. TWENTY TWO. It's ridiculous and makes me sick to say it, but it's true. We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this and I'm so proud of you!! You will reach your goals in no time.

    You know what's been working best for me lately at burning those calories? Walking. Power walking outside. It's so dang hot that the calories just burn right up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome Faye! Yeah it's super hard to put yourself out there like that, but I'm so proud of you! 10 pounds in 3 months is so doable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faye will you text me? I want to set up an accountability thing with you for eating and working out if you're up for it. 601.278.7770...just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're taking steps to accomplish what you want to accomplish. But holy crap, there's no way you should've been considered "obese" (at least not based on these pictures). You look fantastic, and I've always thought the BMI categories of "normal" and "overweight" and "obese" are off.

    ReplyDelete