Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Blogtember: Where I come from

Prompt: Describe where or what you come from. The people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are.



My mom (a texan), my big sister (born in Ft. Worth) and I moved from Flint, MI (where I was born and lived for four years) to Pontotoc, MS after my father passed away. (He grew up in Johnstown, NY and met my mother in Dallas.) We moved in with my grandmother, whom we called Gins. When Gins passed away a few months later, we just stayed. I lived there until I was 18 and moved a whopping thirty minutes away to attend college in Oxford at the University of Mississippi. I still live in Oxford. Even having lived in or just outside of Pontotoc for the majority of my life, I don't like to say I'm from there. Pontotoc is a lovely town with lovely people. I still talk to a few of them now and again. But it isn't me. It never was. Oxford is where I grew up. Where I learned who I was and who I wanted to be. Where I opened my mind and my heart and began living life.

Although I never really knew my father, he is a huge part of who I am. Obviously, I'm made up of his DNA. But from what I hear, I also have his sense of humor and killer good looks. I got my mom's temper, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I also got her cooking skills, which is definitely a plus. My sister treated me like her baby doll when we were young. And then we hated each other for a good while during high school. Sibling rivalry. But now, she's my best friend. And she always will be.

Now, for the factors. I hate to be the one with the sob story. Yes, my father passed away when I was young. Yes, I was raised by a single mother who had to work a lot. But I have no complaints. My mother, sister, and I...we made it work as a family of three. There were ups and downs and fights and hugs, but we made it. My sister and I both graduated with honors, went to college and graduated with honors again, and began working in our respective fields. In that aspect, my mother raised two successful young women. But even more than education and career, I am successful in that I love who I am today. I'm strong. I'm vulnerable. I'm independent. I'm happy. Sometimes I'm sad. I'm always funny. I'm often sarcastic. I give great advice. I know how to love, but I don't let myself too easily.





I believe, no matter where I grew up...or how I grew up. I'd be the same person I am today. Because of the people I come from. It's all about the people.


Where/who/what do you come from?










1 comment:

  1. Flint! I'm from down the road of there!

    That was awkward phrasing but you get it.

    ReplyDelete